Saturday, October 9, 2010

Gerard's Mustard Tart

 The Queen of Hearts,
    She made some tarts,
All on a summer's day;
    The Knave of Hearts,
    He stole the tarts,
And took them clean away.

    The King of Hearts
    Called for the tarts,
And beat the Knave full sore;
    The Knave of Hearts
    Brought back the tarts,
And vowed he'd steal no more.


I have wanted to learn to make tarts forever.  French Fridays with Dorie this week made Gerard's Mustard Tart, so there it was.  Time for me to pull up my boot straps and make tart dough.  It could not have been simpler.  I opted for mini tart shells because A) I've lost my large one B)Couldn't be bothered to go buy another because C) Three granddaughters under the age of ten and two puppies under the age of six months were cavorting underfoot.  D) No tomato. It was a tad bit CHAOTIC.


After making the shells last night, I was too exhausted to mix up the filling and fell into a comatose state by seven o'clock.  French Friday is now moved to French Saturday.  This morning, after sending my husband off to the store for a tomato, I am happy to report that these tarts came out of the oven in one piece, not burned and smelling delicious.  Plus they were just plain cute in all their miniature glory.
And I even remembered to leave the mustard out of said husband who has a life threatening mustard allergy.  I was even so clever as to remember which of his specifically didn't contain the mustard.  I wasn't so clever when I mixed them up on the cooling rack.  


This tart was incredible!  I can't describe the excitement I feel at being able to now make a tart.  Let's pack them in a wicker hamper and head over to Napa for general frolicking through the wine country.  Or up to the mountains for apple picking and fresh air.  The possibilities are endless. They're also great after raking leaves, which is how we enjoyed them.

2 comments:

  1. Oh, Vicki, they are beautiful! I'm toying with making Pad Thai this weekend, but this is making me think French instead!

    I agree they do seem to call for frocking through wine country. We want picnic photos!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i didn't even post my mustard tart, it came out so poorly. kudos to you, and i loved reading the tart poem! i remember it from a book i had as a kid. i love that mini tart with one beautiful tomato slice.

    ReplyDelete