Wednesday, October 21, 2015

Almond Cream Pie circa 1959 Betty Crocker's Picture Cook Book


This was my mother's signature dessert
for the bridge ladies.
She played in two groups;
one with four players and the other with eight.
My brother and I rejoiced when she
made it for the four ladies, as it meant we also
got a slice.
Not so with the eight player group unless
one or two or more were on diets.
We always crossed our fingers someone
would be on a diet.

It's very easy to make, really, it just took me
fifteen years to get it right.
Stirring the custard is a calming activity for me
now after all the batches of lemon curd.
Pie crust is no longer my arch nemesis,
thanks to Rose's cream cheese pie crust.
This is a straight butter crust that I had
to make for a baking assignment.
It's a bit more fiddly but it turned out flaky.

All that remains is to divvy it up
between my family.
There are no bridge ladies insight.


No comments:

Post a Comment