Tuesday, October 6, 2015

Pate a choux


Pate a choux
or as I know it,
cream puffs.

This is the first assignment in the free
baking school I signed up for.
It lasts twenty days.
I figure I can make it through 
twenty days.

Maybe.

At least I made it through days one and two.
Yesterday was learning all about eggs
and how to crack them with one hand.
I had no idea I was doing it wrong!

Today was putting those egg cracking skills
to work baking pate a choux.

I've never had luck making this dough.
I failed miserably with gougeres.
And then again with souffle
which requires pate a choux
for the base.

This recipe was a two part process.
The first on the stove with a wooden spoon,
mixing and cooking the flour, water and butter.
The second part used the mixer
to incorporate eggs into this doughy ball
which magically turns into silky batter.


It is then baked with three
different temperatures.

And poked with a toothpick to release the 
steam.


I was excited to open the oven
and find real cream puff shells.

Off to buy a vanilla bean and whole milk
for pastry cream. Luckily chocolate ganache sauce
is leftover from the Turtle Mud Pie
in the freezer.
Finally, cream puffs.

Delivered to my brother as
we both have the fondest memory
of our mother making cream puffs
but only twice, no matter
how much we pleaded.
"Too much trouble."
They probably were doing 
all the mixing by hand.
This mixer method is so simple.


No comments:

Post a Comment