Wednesday, October 14, 2015

Mushroom Tart



Lesson Eight Mushroom Tart

This is the first savory tart I have ever made.
The lesson focused on
another use of butter with pate sablee
which means sweetened pastry dough.
I chose the savory option using the
all butter dough.
I'm so used to Rose's cream cheese pie dough
that it was a little odd working with an entirely
different texture
but got it in the tart pan without mishap.
And out of the oven the same.

It was difficult to tell when it was done.
Quiche is fully baked at 160 F which sounded close
enough, even though this had only one egg in the ricotta mixture.


The flavor is amazing, 
both the crust and mushroom filling.
The last really good slice of 
quiche I had was $10 per slice
which would be $80 for the entire thing.
I doubt the ingredients in this cost ten dollars total.
It never ceases to astonish me
when something I've wanted to make
for years but felt too intimidated
not only isn't difficult when instructions
are easy to follow
but tastes as good as a favorite restaurant's.

You have to know that I was only allowed to 
bring store bought rolls to 
Thanksgiving dinners
while the family matriarchs
were alive and well at the helm.
They wouldn't believe this!






No comments:

Post a Comment