Thursday, October 8, 2015

Pavlova



Today's baking lesson was baked French meringue.
Reading over the information
was very familiar to me.
The different meringues
in Heavenly Cakes and 
The Baking Bible
have given me a solid background.
I did learn new information
and tips.


Mainly don't stop beating the 
egg whites until they have little
points like this for the stiff stage.


Before The Bake


After The Bake

They are creamy in color due to  
the vanilla extract.
They didn't brown in the least
which I've learned
is the goal with baked meringue.


I have wondered for a long time
how Pavlova could possibly be 
something people love,
namely Nigella Lawson.

On top of the "Pav", 
as she likes to call them,
is a layer of whipped cream,
lemon curd 
and then sliced strawberries.

After the first taste 
it is totally understandable;
this strange combination is divine.

I was going to turn the individual
meringues into 
Floating Islands
on the suggestion of Monica
because of an episode on 
The Great British Bake Off.

There are different ways of making it.
I chose Julia Child's recipe, however, 
a bit of unexpected company
in the form of my granddaughters.
Needless to say, they loved
these marshmallow cookies
and took the rest home for dessert!

Gluten free and dairy free,
they can be topped with so many 
different things,
sorbet being one.

Honestly,
this is the quickest dessert 
and guests would think
it had taken hours to make.

Sorry I waited so long.
Should have listened 
to Nigella.





1 comment:

  1. Vicki,

    Another great blog.
    LOve everything here----now you really have to make me one of these recipes.

    Georgette

    ReplyDelete